Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chocolate C"Hunk" cookies



Wowzers! I'm tired! I chase a couple of toddlers for a couple minutes and I'm done for...I don't think that's a good sign. But couldn't resist the little toddler giggles that were escaping their precious little mouths.
So I am somewhat recuperating, and sipping some tea and talking to you.
I would LOVE to say that I have a plate of these steamy c"hunks" next to me, but I don't. I think my weight watchers tracker wouldn't even post a number for these lookers, it would just give me a big frowny face :-(
But I can still get some pleasure out of sharing them with you. I can imagine us sitting together with our cup of teas listening to Michael BublĂ©  and just taking our time eating these warm, gooey, rich, nutty chunks of heaven....yeah I know you can see it too...aaaaah (can you tell I haven't had many sweets lately) 
But seriously these cookies resemble a mix between a brownie and a rich chocolate cookie. and are totally worth the time. These cookies are a knock-off of the version sold at the popular Levain Bakery
Make sure you don't bake them too long, they can become quite dry and crumbly.
Best is to take them out when they still seem slightly gooey in the middle, not a lot mind you but just slightly, you don't want them to be too gooey.
 I will just sit here with my milk-less tea and grapes, trying really hard to imagine they taste like chocolate.
but on a different note, I've really been impressed with the weight watchers system. granted when people ask me how I feel, my response goes something like this...

Them: "so how are you feeling now? since you've been on the program for a couple weeks now. you should be feeling great...right?"
Me: "uhm, have you ever seen a drug addict in rehab?" "yeah that's how I feel"
Them: "...oh...my ...I'm sorry..."
Me: "Oh no it's actually really great!" insert quirky smile*

It really does feel like a detox...but a good one! a needed one! (well I guess any rehab or detox is good)
I've been "forced" to make a lot of good choices in my foods and eating habits!
but enough said ...my hubby is waiting to use the computer....so i'll leave you with these awesome cookies, think of me while you make and eat them  ;-)



Giant Double Chocolate Cookies
Yield: 12 very large cookies
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1¼ cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup dark cocoa powder
  • 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp. coarse salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup walnuts

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. 
  2.  Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.  Mix in the cocoa powder until well blended.  Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated.  Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts with a spatula.  Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead briefly by hand to be sure the ingredients are well combined.
  3. Divide the dough into 4 ounce portions (or divide into 12 equal pieces).  Roll each portion of dough into a ball and flatten just slightly into a disc.  Place on the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart.  Bake 16-20 minutes.  Let cool on the baking sheets 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe adaptedfrom Annies eats who adapted it from My Baking Addiction, who adapted it from Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives, inspired by Levain Bakery


No comments:

Post a Comment