Sunday, June 12, 2011

Easy Peasy Tres Leches Cake!!!


I have never really liked the idea of tres leches cake, maybe it's the name...I don't know  ;-) But ever since a friend of mine brought over a huge piece of her scrumptious tres leches cake (thank you Ange!), I must admit I have been hooked ever since.
I wanted a quick version of this dessert since I didn't think I could handle the 12 eggs version.
And with kids it can be hard to find the time ;-) (though I am intrigued, and might try it sometime).
This recipe is amazing and was so good! the only thing I would change is using the Betty Crocker extra moist vanilla cake (I used the Duncan Hines and thought it was a tad dry).
Here is the recipe hope you like it!

Easy Peasy Tres Leches Cake
Printable version

Ingredients

1 box  Super Moist yellow cake mix(the ones with the pudding)
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1 cup whole milk or evaporated milk (sometimes I use coconut milk)
1 cup whipping cream
1 container cool whip

 1       Box strawberries

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan.
  2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
  3. Bake 29 to 35 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes. Poke top of hot cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork, wiping fork occasionally to reduce sticking.
  4. In large bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, whole milk and whipping cream. Carefully pour evenly over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is absorbed into cake. Frost with cool whip and top with fresh sliced strawberries.
Makes 15 servings
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker 

Here are some cool varieties: I sometimes use coconut milk instead of the evaporated milk , then top the cool whip with toasted coconut ;-) 


8 comments:

  1. i have noticed that if you use milk instead of water for the cake mix its a lot moister even the really cheat mixes will turn out a lot better use the same amount of milk as it ask for water! that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to trying this - my daughter loves this cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mix one can of eagle brand milk, 1 can of cream of Coconut and pour over cake. When cool I frost with cool whip and a bag of sweetened shredded coconut. This sounds good too, I will have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great ideas and input! ;-)
    I Usually add milk instead of water and extra eggs to the cake mixes and it works wonders! (the cake doctor books are amazing)
    I agree with the coconut! yum! I just replace the evaporated milk with coconut milk and add toasted sweetened coconut yum! great ideas! and Beth Anne I hope your daughter enjoys this I know we did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many extra eggs do u put?, I heard about it but never done so. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Doris, I usually add just one extra egg to the mix if the box calls for three eggs (like the vanilla cake mix I used for this cake) I add four eggs. You can also substitute the water with buttermilk, sour cream, milk or applesauce for a moist cake(I have even used mayonnaise in a chocolate cake!)another trick to a moist cake is adding pudding but just add half the box or asked for amount so the cake is still moist but doesn't shrink after cooling.(adding pudding also helps the nuts or chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the batter) hope this helps ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I add some pecan halves/pieces on top with the fresh strawberries...yum!!! My favorite dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok great recipe it is very easy I also add a layer of vanilla pudding then I add the cool whip and i sprinkle toasted coconut and slivered almonds on top..instead of fruit my family loves it..It is a big hit

    ReplyDelete