Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Light As Air, Raspberry poke cupcakes




So a couple of weeks ago I posted my 30 before 30 list...things I want to accomplish before turning 30.
So far none have been completed :-( (but there is always hope...)
But I do distinctly remember saying I wanted to regularly post something..so much for that...huh!
I do however have tons of recipes to post, I have taken pictures of all. just too lazy to edit them all and get them up on here! one day girl...one day I will be super organized and prompt (HA! the computer just laughed at me)

This recipe has become a favorite of mine, it's quite simple really and nothing too hoity-toity...
I learned how to make this cake at camp (while I was working there as the cooks help) I just love the camp atmosphere, I never did as a kid, but now all grown up I actually wish i could go back and redo it all! oh the joys of bunking in creaky metal bunks while scaring ourselves silly with made-up ghost stories. the insane games, the oh so predictable foods...pizza, nachos and hot dogs anyone???
This cake was a staple at our summer camps. I had to remind myself to cut a piece and save it before everyone tore into it and devoured it.

It's a really easy cake to make and not as filling as most cakes. it's a simple white cake baked acording to the recipe or package instructions. Then left to cool in the pan. when cooled you poke the cake with a fork to make holes, the jello-mix is then poured over the cake/cupcakes and left to set in the fridge. As I said easy-peasy.
I ADORE whipped cream frosting because it's so light and airy, I don't care to much for the thick sickly sweet icing most cakes wear. I also decided to make cupcakes instead of the sheet cake, but both work fine.

I used the raspberry jello and the Betty Crockers white cake mix. Please disregard the melting whipped cream in the pictures...it was one of those days...where I get my good camera ready and everything set up, only for my good camera to die right when i try to take the first pictures...figures!



Raspberry Poke Cupcakes

Ingredients
  • 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix 
  • Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
  • 1 box (4-serving size) raspberry-flavored gelatin
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups) (or make your own, get the recipe here)
  • Fresh raspberries, if desired 
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). 
  2. Make and bake cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour. 
  3. Pierce cooled cake all over with fork. In small bowl, stir gelatin and boiling water until smooth; stir in cold water. Pour over cake. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Refrigerate 2 hours. Frost with whipped topping; garnish with raspberries. Store covered in refrigerator.
Adapted from Betty Crocker, Whipped cream frosting courtesy of Annie's Eat's

No comments:

Post a Comment