Monday, November 5, 2012

Mama's Broccoli Salad



I remember my mom making this salad on several occasions. I LOVE it it's one of my favorite salads.
Might not be the best for my hips but nonetheless I love it!
There are so many versions of this favorite, different nuts can be used, no onions or dried cranberries instead of raisins. the variations are endless. you just adjust to make it your own...no judgement here :-)
Thanksgiving is coming up and this salad is a MUST!
It's a definite crowd pleaser.
Make sure you cut the broccoli real small, I just really don't like big chunks of broccoli in my salad...yuck.
The sauce is a mayonnaise & vinegar mix. Slightly sweet and tart but soooo creamy.
I used good thick hickory smoked bacon cut into strips (I used scissors to cut them into strips...so much quicker)
I used sweet vidalia onions, my husband really does not like onions. but for some reason he can tolerate the sweet vidalia onions. I think they have a softer "onion" taste than most other onions.
I like walnuts in my version of the salad. although I can't complain about the salads that used almonds or roasted salted peanuts! So your choice.
If you are making this ahead of time DON'T add the bacon until just before serving. if you add it too soon the bacon looses it's crunch and you are left with limp bacon (yuck!!!)
You can combine everything else though beforehand ;-)

Hope this recipe finds it's way to your table this holiday, It's so worth it!
























And since it's the "thankful month" here are some things I'm thankful for:
  • My Awesome God and Heavenly Father, He has given me sooo much (see all bottom notes).
  • My Loving, caring and did I mention handsomely hot husband who has been such a blessing to me, wouldn't want to go through life with anyone else! Thank you God for bringing him into my life!
  • My two tornado toddlers who make my life complete. there is never a dull moment in our house with these to cuties! God has given them such precious characters I can definitely see God's hand print on them!
  • Our beautiful house that God very generously provided for us! What a blessing to call this house our home! 
  • A backyard, I know this might seem funny but it is soooo crucial to me. It's been such a blessing and relief to see my kids playing safely outside in their own yard! Can't beat that!
Well those are my thankful for the first 5 days in November! I'll update as I post.

I encourage you to make a list of "thankful's" you will be surprised and blessed by the outcome of the many blessings you have right in front of you! and yes pumpkin spice creamer is a thankful in my book lol




Mama's Broccoli Salad

Ingredients

salad

  • 4 cups (1 large bunch) broccoli with stems chopped
  • 1/2 cup Chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup nuts chopped (walnuts, pecans, peanuts, almonds...your choice)
  • 1/4 cup Raisins (or craisins) 
  • 1/2 lb Bacon cooked and crumbled
dressing
  • 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
  •  1/4 cup White Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Vinegar

Directions
  1. Mix together the broccoli, onion, nuts & raisins mix well.
  2. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Mix until well incorporated, and the sugar is somewhat dissolved.
  3. Pour sauce over salad and mix well to coat salad.
  4. When ready to serve, top salad with crumbled bacon an mix slightly. 
  5. Enjoy!!!
PS: Try mixing half broccoli and half cauliflower :-)

Recipe courtesy of my mom








No comments:

Post a Comment