Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup


If you are wondering about this nice little "Tasty Thursday Treats" sigh above, you can catch up here.

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

I had made a huge roasted chicken for some amazing guests we had this past Thursday (you know who you are!). The chicken was good, but we had a tons of leftovers.
Usually I just pick the meat off the bones and discard the carcass ( I know...I know such a waste!). But you will be pleased to know I did no such thing this time.
I did pick the remaining meat off and stored it in a container. I looked up a fairly easy and straight forward recipe on how to make your own chicken stock. I must say (sheepishly) that this is the first time I've made my own chicken stock. I don't usually buy a whole chicken just for our family, but I'm starting to see why it would be a good idea to start. One chicken (roasted) lasted us a good 5 days and 5 good sturdy meals! so definitely worth the $8 I spent on the bird ;-)
The oh so good smelling fresh chicken broth...
ugly picture though 

This time I also came out with not only 5 meals but about 6 cups worth of chicken broth. I'm pretty darn proud of myself. I even wore my brand new frilly red and white apron (definitely a sight with me being pregnant lol)


I don't think the house ever smelled so good! The chicken and veggies (for the broth) cooked for a good 4 hours if not more. I look forward to using my fresh stock for more amazing recipes.
One recipe I did make was this really good spicy chicken tomato soup.
Serve it with sour cream, cilantro, cheddar cheese and some homemade tortilla chips....Yum!


It's filled with veggies, beans and chicken. It reminds me of a chicken chili. I'm not fond of the green chicken chili let alone chicken in chili but these flavors really went well and surprisingly chicken was the better choice for this soup.





Here is the recipe for this amazing spicy soup...enjoy!

Spicy Chicken tortilla Soup


Ingredients

2 qts water
skinless boneless chicken breasts (halves)
12  salt
1 tsp black pepper (ground)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp parsley (dried)
1 tbsp onion powder
5 cubes chicken bouillon
3 tbsps olive oil
onion (chopped)
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 (16 oz) jar chunky salsa
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (peeled)
1 can (14.5 oz)whole peeled tomatoes
1 can (10.75 oz) condensed tomato soup
3 tbsps chili powder
1 can (15 oz) corn kernels (drained)
2 cans (16 oz) chili beans (undrained)
1 (8 oz) tub sour cream


Directions

  1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken, reserve broth. Shred chicken.
  2. In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned. Stir in salsa, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato soup, chili powder, corn, chili beans, sour cream, shredded chicken and 5 cups broth. Simmer 30 minutes.
Adapted from Allrecipes


1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks fantastic! Congrats on making your own stock. I've done it, and its always worth it, but its definitely some work.

    ReplyDelete