Monday, March 12, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies, Tea and Good Company!




Proverbs 27:9 
The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.


What a "fresh of breath air"...lol I mean a "breath of fresh air"!My mind has begun to slowly deteriorate as my children begin to grow smarter. I sometimes wonder if they just outright suck the senses right out of me...it's a theory!

What a breath of fresh air to sit down, with a cup of warm tea, a warm cookie and a good friend! God made us relationship minded, and the craving for acceptance and craving for company stems from that very concept. We are made to help each other and support one another.
My husband and I LOVE practicing hospitality, it's what makes us tick, it gives us a fulfillment. We want people to leave with a breath of fresh air, to be encouraged and their spirits lifted. And in return I feel uplifted and blessed beyond words! I really miss the opportunities to just hang out, relax, talk and sip some good ol'hot tea and munch on some sinfully delicious cookies ;-)

We here in America have lost the beautiful art of "hospitality", a lot of us including me have turned to "entertaining"."Entertaining" is a whole different concept than "hospitality",
entertaining people is to show off or have your guests leave with the feeling of awe and slight inadequacy. Hospitality is to truly cater toward others true needs, is to entertain without the need to impress or to receive flattery, your guests leave uplifted and blessed.
I read a poster on pinterest one day. that wrote those definitions, it suck with me and really made me think hard about what my motives are when inviting people over. Am I just seeking acceptance through impressing others? if so I'm going about it in an entirely wrong way. Nothing is ever about me. It's first and foremost about God then others so when I practice hospitality it should be for the edification of my God then with His help I can go on and minister toward others. regardless of the meal I serve or the state of my home.

So thank you dear Aunt for joining me today and uplifting my soul with our nice talk! it did my heart good! and I have a lot to learn from you! ;-)

These cookies were made by my little blessing and enjoyed thoroughly by us ;-), they are the first cooking project he actually asked to do (instead of me probing him to help). So I was definitely not going to say no to his eager little brain. But h the impatiance of little hands! before we knew it there was flour everywhere and in every single container in his reach. a lot of guess work later we arrived at these final products! I must say they rival my favorite oatmeal raisin cookie by far!
so hope you enjoy! Make some of these and invite a friend over to share them! will do the heart good ;-)



Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



Ingredients



  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup raisins




Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. 
  3. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. 
  4. Stir in the oats and raisins. 
  5. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container. 



No comments:

Post a Comment