Thursday, August 4, 2011

Simple but delectable iced coffee to start your day off right!


I have finally boarded the iced coffee craze, I never really like the thought of iced coffee and since I'm European (well only born and raised) I don't really like ice, and never understood why I have to fill my cup to the brim with ice to only fill it up with already cold soda from the fountain...just didn't make sense and then not to mention that if I didn't finish my drink in the 2min time slot (2min before the ice melts) my drink would be a watery mess. Just a pet peeve of mine lol...could ya tell?

Anyways I have run out of my "must-need-can't-live-without-it" earl grey tea. Now you ask me why don't I just hop in the car and get some??? well

1. I live 45min from the nearest store
2. I have two kids under two...both teething and one potty training...so yeah...no!
3. My husband and I are down to one car and he needs it for work...everyday...ugh

so you see my dire situation...
so in a frenzy to find a suitable substitute I came accross this little jem of a recipe! and not to mention...that yes it is by my two favorite bloggers! Annie and Ree!!! It has been a life saver and is sooo insanely easy!
I adapted the recipe a little and used whole bean coffee. I LOVE the smell of freshly brewed coffee and especially when it is home-ground ;-)
I had bought a couple of bags of flavored coffee beans awhile back on a BOGO sale at publix (don't you just love those deals!!!) and hadn't opened them yet. So today will be the glorious day ;-)


If you drink quite a lot of coffee I would invest in a grinder! I love mine! I highly recommend buying whole beans and grinding them yourself. just open the bag and only grind what you need and then close the bag and press air out and save in a air tight container.
I know a lot of the fancy whole food stores sell the coffee beans in huge beautiful barrels and you can scoop to your hearts content. But trust me...buy the air tight bags you know they've not been touched by human hands or air unlike the barrel beans lol

Anyhow I ended up using the "eight o' clock" brand hazelnut whole bean coffee. Now do understand that if you like the deep robust coffee flavor I would go with one 16oz bag of bustelo's ground coffee (yellow bag with red and black letters). I needed to up my ground hazelnut coffee a bit to get the desired taste like one and a half bags. But again you can always add the hazelnut flavor by adding it to the simple syrup ;-)

Hope you enjoy!



Simple Iced coffee


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground whole bean Coffee (or one 16oz bag pre-ground coffee like cafe bustelo!)
  • 8 quarts Cold Water
  • Half-and-half( a good helping for each serving)
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk (2-3 Tablespoons Per Serving)
  • Note: You can Use Skim Milk, 2% Milk, Whole Milk, Sugar, Artificial Sweeteners, Syrups...use whatever you like to your taste!
Directions:
  • In a very large container, mix ground coffee with water. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature eight hours or overnight.
  • Line a fine mesh strainer with cheesecloth and set over a pitcher or other container. Pour coffee/water mixture through the strainer, allowing all liquid to run through. Discard grounds.
  • Place coffee liquid in the fridge and allow to cool. Use as needed.
  • To make iced coffee, pack a glass full of ice cubes. Fill glass 2/3 full with coffee liquid. Add healthy splash of half-and-half. Add 2-3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (can use plain sugar instead) and stir to combine. Taste and adjust half-and-half and/or sweetened condensed milk as needed.
  • To make an iced mocha, pour 1½ tbsp. simple syrup (1part sugar/ 1 part boiling water, you can flavor to taste),1½ tbsp. chocolate syrup  into a 16oz cup..  Fill the cup with ice.  Pour the chilled coffee base over the ice, filling the cup about three quarters full.  Stir the mixture well to blend in the syrups.  Fill the cup the rest of the way with milk and stir once more to blend.  Sip and enjoy!
Adapted from Annie's eats who adapted it from The pioneer woman




No comments:

Post a Comment