Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Homemade Apple Sauce





I had mentioned in my last post that I had bought tons of different apples. I made apple pie with the more tart apples I had (like the granny smith and Jonathan apples). I had a ton of red and golden delicious left over that needed a recipe soon.
My boys absolutely LOVE applesauce. However we are less than impressed with the high price tag that comes with it.
I found a really good recipe that was easy and delicious (how can a recipe for apple sauce be hard, right?)
This recipe cuts out a lot of the sugar sometimes called for, and has a delightfully cinnamon-y flavor.
I betcha this recipe would taste wonderful if you added a couple of pears! or just use pears instead of apples.

I can't say it enough that Cinnamon might be my favorite fall smell!

We have been enjoying the wonderfully cool weather, we've enjoyed some really beautiful walks. while my boys were running through the woods, I noticed the slight sound of crunching leaves under their "little" feet.
Oh be still my heart! It is fall!!! excited does not describe it lol

I hope you are experiencing beautiful weather and walks ;-)

What recipes do you use for apple sauce?


Homemade Apple Sauce:

Serves 8

Ingredients:

  • 8 Apples peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 cup White Sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon 

Directions:

  1. In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. 
  2. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.


Recipe adapted from allrecipes


No comments:

Post a Comment