Sunday, October 23, 2011

DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte's


 Pumpkin spice latte's is one of the the first signs that fall is right around the corner!...well at least for me ;-) Starbucks puts up that sign and I'm ready with my furry hoodie and fall boots to buy my first cup!
It's a milestone for me, but an expensive one at that, paying $4-$5 per cup of this awesome sustenance is just too much for me! (some of you it's not and that's fine). I told myself to get off of my soft tushy and do something about it...and giving up pumpkin latte's was just not happening! it's my joy, my comfort my...my...precious (said in a rather gollumish way) addicted you say?...me?...noooooo....(yeah right!)
So what do I do when I am in a fix? I call upon my handy dandy...notebook (lol yes...but the computer kind) and Google away! I found that a lot of people blogging had the same problem I had...overpriced pumpkin spiced latte's! and to my delight they gave me the cure...a recipe...*sigh* everything is going to be alright (*sigh* again) The recipe I chose was fairly easy to follow and the latte came out really good and a lot cheaper than the original version. I'm pretty sure they would taste a lot better if I actually had some espresso but sadly I don't, strongly brewed coffee works just as well. if you are as "addicted" as I am to these lovely fall specialties give this a try! the simple syrup the recipe makes lasts quite awhile. although you do need to experiment a little bit to find your perfect amounts...everyone has a different taste!

I hope you enjoy!


Pumpkin Spice Syrup
 Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups water
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 4 cinnamon sticks 
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • ½ tsp. ground ginger
  • ½ tsp. ground cloves
  • 3 tbsp. pumpkin puree
Directions:
  • Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved.  
  • Toss in the cinnamon sticks and whisk in the remaining spices and the pumpkin puree.  Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, without letting the mixture come to a boil.  
  • Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.  Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and store in your container of choice.   
  • Store in the refrigerator.
To make a pumpkin spice latte, combine 2 ounces of hot coffee or 1 shot of hot espresso (about 1-1½ ounces) with 5-6 ounces of steamed low-fat milk.  Stir in 1½-2 tablespoons of the pumpkin spice syrup.  Taste and adjust amounts accordingly.  Top as desired with freshly whipped cream, ground cinnamon and drizzle with caramel sauce.


Source: syrup from Cook Like a Champion and originally from Sugar Crafter, latte formula from Confections of a Foodie Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment