Saturday, June 25, 2011

I'm Back, with scrumptious Piña Colada Cupcakes !!!!!

What a week!!!, the internet went out, along with that went our netflix, the TV decided it didn't want to play dvd's at all and my phone started to act up...grrrrrr great!
Now you need to understand that I live on a 102 acres in the middle of nowhere and the closest store is 40min away and I have 2 little ones under 2.5yrs...so yeah it was a rough week.
Anywho things are back up and running and I am excited as ever to share whats going on here on Munchie Monkey.
I must apologize for the photography in advance, my camera is in the shop after my 2 year old found it and started to fiddle with it (thank God for extended warranties and insurance policies lol) so all the pictures are taken by my droid. I really do hope you all had an awesome fathers day and are planning to have an incredible and safe 4th of July!!!

Piña Colada Cupcakes with pineapple butter-cream frosting

Today I decided to make some treats for my hubby's work colleagues and for the BBQ I was attending later that afternoon. Since it was friday and people are dying to get home and start their deserved and longed for weekend I decided on Pina Colada Cupcakes with Pineapple Butter-Cream frosting...mmmmmm so good!!! I love the smell of the cupcakes as they were gently tanning golden brown in the oven, the smell of pineapple and coconut...Oh My Word weekend here we come! the cupcakes came out looking beautiful and were so light and airy and smelled divine!
I confess I am not a frosting lover and I'm not the best at making frosting and we have had a love hate relationship when it comes to making and frosting a cake...I lack the patience and it lacks forgiveness and grace... and honestly I would have loved a whipped cream with pineapple combo for the frosting far better (I will try that next) but sadly I did not have enough whipped cream in the house at the time...sooo pineapple butter-cream seemed to be a good replacement. Everyone loved them hope you do too!!!




Piña Colada Cupcakes
Printable Version

Ingredients: 
  • 1 box white cake mix
    (yes, I cheated I have two little ones at home and little time! No one could tell! ;-)...)
  • 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup coconut rum
  • eggs (according to package)
  • vegetable oil (according to package)
  • 8 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained well
  • 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut

    Directions:
  1. Add mix, eggs, and oil according to the package. 
  2. Substitute water for 1 cup pineapple juice and 1/3 cup coconut rum. Blend well with electric mixer.
  3. Add pineapple. Make sure it was well-drained and mix until just blended. 
  4. Fold in coconut . 
  5. Bake according to the package instructions.

Pineapple butter cream frosting
Printable Version

Ingredients:
  • 2 stick butter
  • 6 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 tbsp Pineapple puree or juice
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon 
  • 1/2 cup sweetened toasted coconut
Directions:

  1. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer. 
  2. Add the pineapple about a teaspoon at a time until the icing has a smooth, creamy consistency. 
  3. Beat in the lemon. (If consistency is too runny add more sugar, if too thick add more pineapple juice)
  4. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and pipe onto the cupcakes. 
  5. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment